Thursday, July 17, 2008

DMB Raleigh

July 2, 2008 Walnut Creek
...erm, Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion...

Dave Matthews Band
(concert #11)

Sadly, LeRoi Moore (sax) was not at this show. He had been involved in an accident with an ATV on his farm in Charlottesville just a few days before hand...he was still in the UVA hospital...but the sax player for Bela Fleck stepped in...LeRoi started out in serious condition, but since has been upgraded to 'good'. YAY! #41 (my most favorite DMB song) just wasn't the same without him... :(

The setlist is as follows:
*Seek Up *So Damn Lucky *CornBread *Granny *Crush
*Sledgehammer * #41 *Pantala Naga Pampa *Rapunzel
*The Space Between *Dancing Nancies *The Idea Of You *Smooth Rider *Everyday *Louisiana Bayou *Gravedigger *Tripping Billies
(yeah, that's right DMB broke out in some Peter Gabriel) :)

When Kristen and I first arrived, I was overwhelmed by the fact that I was actually there... actually with Dave, Boyd, Carter and Stefan... no, I didn't cry or anything like that, but I realized being with them was LONG OVERDUE ... I don't know why it had been FIVE years since I had been to a show ...but it was like spending time with old friends - catching up and reminiscing... getting verbal/musical hugs from each of them... I can't tell you how many hours of my life have been spent with these guys... I've known them since 1994 (no, I'm not one of those 'wannabe's' who insist they were a fan from day one)... they've been the soundtrack on countless roadtrips, been there for me when I needed a friend, a shoulder... been there when I just needed to jam out...

Seriously, they just kick arse when it comes to LIVE shows... I can't think of anyone else who can take a 5 minute studio recording and turn it into a 15 minute song - and it never get old... I certainly hope with this show that seeing DMB once again becomes an annual event. :)

To think: this relationship started 14 years ago...with a 'little song' known as What Would You Say?

"Knock, knock on the door. Who's it for?
There's nobody in here. Look in the mirror my friend."

-Dave Matthews Band

No comments: