Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mammo-G '09

Ten years ago, as most of you know, my mother, at age 45, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Following a double mastectomy in December 1999, my mom actually just had reconstruction surgery last year. Because of her cancer, my chances automatically increase, so what does that mean for me? That means, I have my first mammogram prior to age 40. And more specifically, that means when I went for my annual obgyn visit in March, it was decided to go ahead and schedule my first mammo. Scheduled for April 16, I wasn't really any kind of emotion about it...it's important to take care of your boobies!

You're given a cape - and not a cool one like Superman or Zorro...nope, one that could only be described as 'hospital gown's cousin.' D'oh! Mildred was great and explained everything to me prior to doing anything. It was described to me as feeling like a blood pressure cuff..."just when you think it can't squeeze anymore, it releases." Even sitting in the room listening to what was about to happen, I still wasn't any type of emotion. Now being that I haven't had children yet, I don't know that discomfort/pain, so I have nothing to compare this to, but I can state this was the MOST PAIN I HAVE EVER FELT! Not even kidding, I don't think I want children now...(yes, I know, I know - they make drugs for that, but there is some serious thought behind my statement...keep reading)

Now to be fair to Mildred, it did feel like a blood pressure cuff BUT just when you think it can't squeeze anymore, it squeezes the hell out of you! Not even joking, I started to get overheated and started to see white spots. In between each film, Mildred asked if I was doing okay and I kept saying yes just to get it over with. Oh, let me not forget for the first one, I apparently jerked and had to be reset...so I had to go through this five times instead of four. When your breast is placed on the machine, this clear plastic tray comes down and then you are tucked and stuffed and situated just right for the film to be taken. Then the machine is rotated on a 45 degree angle...Now to be fair, the ones taken on the 45 degree angle did not hurt as much, but it was still unpleasant. Also to be fair, you are only in this painful predicament for about 10-15 per and there is no residual discomfort...once the tray lifts off, you're thanking God that it's over.

Mildred advised me that because this was my baseline, there was a very good chance I'd get a call back to do it a second time...but not to worry. So I'd either get a phone call in 3 days saying 'come back' or a letter in 5 saying all was cool.

Well guess what?? Yeah, that's right I got the call...SOOOOO, on April 22 I went for mammogram no. 2. At least this time I knew what to expect and could prepare for it. I was the first appointment of the day instead of the last and stopped off at McDonald's for an iced mocha, so I was well hydrated and did not get overheated or see any spots. Mildred was my tech again and I joked that I had such a good time last time that I couldn't wait to do it again and was back.

Though I thought I was completely still, I had to do a repeat because of 'detected motion.' So for the second trip, Mildred squeezed down harder to eliminate any chance of motion...squeezed so hard that the tray left red marks on either side of my chest just below the collarbone. And like that, I was done...again...

So once again it was phone call or letter, but Mildred advised that if I got a second phone call it would not be for a third mammo, but for an MRI. So again, I got to wait...but not really cause I didn't think about it any.

Well today it came...my letter:

"We are happy to inform you that your mammogram on April 22, 2009 showed no suspicious abnormalities."

YAY...no suspicious abnormalities

So yeah, two mammos in a week's time. Uggh! But it's good to be pro-active and while it was not remotely pleasant, I did something necessary to care for myself and my boobies.

1 comment:

Peter Bunn said...

Glad all is well!
~Sara