Thursday, August 21, 2008

Verti-WHOA!!

I didn't post this yesterday because I wanted my post about LeRoi to be a stand-alone...Monday afternoon, I left work early sick as a DAWG...I had been feeling bad for the past few weeks: feeling nauseous, getting dizzy (even while sitting or worse yet while laying down), my eyes would play weird tricks on me, having that "post concert buzz" in my ears, etc. ... and after Monday afternoon, I realized it was time to go see my doc...So Tuesday morning I went:

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

Try to say that three times fast...heck, just once...so this is my diagnosis and I have to see an ENT specialist next Thursday to see if I can be 'rebalanced'. The various symptoms began shortly after my ill-fated trip to Busch Gardens, so we're assuming it had something to do with that dang roller coaster. Sigh. I was given an Rx for Meclizine, which'll help with the BPPV (and seems to be helping) until I see Mr. ENT.

*************************

The below I snagged from WebMD.com:
What is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)?
Vertigo is the feeling that you are spinning or the world is spinning around you. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is caused by a problem in the inner ear. It usually causes brief vertigo spells that come and go.

What causes BPPV?
Normally, there are little calcium "stones" in the inner ear canals that are moved around by gravity. BPPV can be caused by things like infection or inflammation that stop the stones from moving around like normal. This sends a false message to the brain that affects your balance.

No comments: