When I saw them at Reynolds in Raleigh, Aundrea, Sara and myself met some girls from Fuquay and while hanging out we discovered an unlocked door to the coliseum...so of course we went in. We stumbled across a downward staircase and leaning down, we saw Craft Services - ah, their dinner. About that time, we were caught and chased out of the coliseum. If I remember correctly, there was a gun involved in the chase. I had never run so fast in my life. No, we didn't meet them that day. However, earlier in the day we met Yasko, their keyboard player. That was the closest we got.
This memory serves as the basis of the beginning of my plot. Stay tuned...
**********
Actually, with the announcement of the reunion, I found myself going into my storage - digging out the VHS tapes and cassettes. I spent the weekend watching and listening to my youth. It was a strange experience watching with the eyes of a 30 year old. I didn't scream at the screen like I would have back then. I just giggled a lot. Watching their moms on Oprah caught me emotionally - with Danny's mom having passed in 1999. You could just see the love for her son in her eyes. And when it came to the videos, I was amazed at how much of the dancing I actually remembered...yeah, that's right...I bet you remember some of those moves, too. :)
Everytime I hear Step By Step - it's like hearing it for the first time...even though I believe I've heard it a gajillion times now. Correction: A gajillion and one. I actually remember where I was the first time I heard it. Aundrea and I were coming back from having visited some of her family in/around Monroe, NC and we caught it midway through. I think we were too busy squealing to have actually heard it...
Sidenote: Not even joking, Step By Step is now my ringtone...so call me...
I have countless memories of the "Boys from Beantown" ... countless money spent at Spencers on t-shirts, buttons, etc. My 14th birthday party was NKOTB...and Aundrea and I kept 'inventory' of our collection: the posters, the buttons, comic books... and not just Buttons: 30 ... we broke it down by each member...counting posters was a real pain...but we did it. And even though at 13 we had moved away from each other, we would mail each other updates. We addressed our letters Aundrea McIntyre and Sarah Knight. ;) (still have the ones sent to me) We had it ALL planned out. She'd marry Joe. I'd marry Jordan. We'd live next door to each other. Plan our pregnancies out. And own our own local advertising agency. Of course real life didn't turn out like that...
Summer of '90 was the "Magic Summer Tour" where they had their own Coca-Cola commercial...I remember the song... Magic is the real thing. You never know wherever you go you might find magic in a Coca-Cola Classic. Can't beat it. Can't beat the real thing ... Between the two of us, we would easily go through a 12 pack in ONE day. So imagine an entire summer of Coke. We never found any magic in one of those cans and to this day I cannot stand drinking Coke. I'm totally a Pepsi girl. :)
I have to say I was tickled to hear of their reunion. I cannot wait to hear their new music...and would definitely go see them...perhaps Aundrea and I would be able to make it together...it would be our third. For every girl who was a 'blockhead', each would have their own story. This is just a small fraction of mine. And I have to say I'm glad I shared that experience with my dear Aundrea.
I have to say I'm not at all ashamed to admit...
Hi, my name is Sarah and I love the New Kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment