So my first M. Night Shyamalan movie was this past summer - The Happening - with Mark Wahlberg. I hadn't seen Mark on the big screen since The Italian Job, so I was long overdue. The movie was stupid...a waste of my time and money (yay that I only attend matinees). The premise was that nature was out to get us and it was best to stay in small groups...which would have made sense until the following:
1. Mark's character was in a group of five that was safe. Yet John Leguizamo's character was also in a group of five and laughably met their demise.
2. There was a lady in a group of one - ONE, y'all - you can't get any smaller than a group of one and yup...she met her demise.
I saw the movie on a Friday afternoon after a half day at work. Including myself there were like 11 people in attendance - and I'm sure all 11 of us left wondering "What the heck?" We spent more time laughing at the ridiculousness of it all than feeling any sense of suspense. I could foresee it being made fun of on Mystery Science Theater 3000 ... For being my first M. Night movie, I was highly disappointed.
So let's fast forward to this past Friday night: I had been told by many "You need to see The Sixth Sense" - so I finally saw it. I remember that it came out the same time as The Blair Witch Project, because my roommate's friend gave away the ending - you know, the truth about Bruce Willis (well his character anyway) - hence, why in all this time I've never bothered to see it.
I actually liked it. I'd watch it again. Heck, I'll probably even buy it. I knew Donnie Wahlberg was in it... I didn't realize for only one scene... but as the movie progressed, I didn't even care that he wasn't in it longer. Yay for the Saw series?!?
No comments:
Post a Comment