Sunday, March 1, 2009

Caleb's POV

My sister's three children participate in Upward Basketball at their church and yesterday were the last games of the season. After Caleb's game, he tends to wander around the facility...with his autism, it's kinda hard for him to focus to be still for long periods of time...so wander he does and every now and then he'll come back into the gym whether it's to get money for a snack or to give a big hug. Sometimes though when it's been too long, my sister will go herself or send a family member to check on him. She was videotaping their games, so she couldn't exactly stop to check on him. My mom went and came back stating that he was in room 108 and requested privacy. *giggles* So some more time had passed and I thought I'd go check on him - without even being asked.

He had moved on to another classroom, but allowed me to come in (Hey, I showed up with money. Any kid will deny their own privacy for a buck.) So, once I'm in the room, he tells me which seat to sit in and after giving him the dollar, asked if I had any more money. I found a nickle. His response was "Taxes for the dollar I have to spend at the Dollar Tree." Smart for a six-year old, yes? He then proceeded to tell me all about the Dollar Tree.

Caleb then decides he wanted to go through my purse. Nothing of real interest to a child - checkbook, keys, lip gloss...ah, the wallet...something of interest. He opened it and asked if I was broke because there was no money in it and said he would give me back the dollar so I'd have some money. I explained to Caleb that Auntie Sarah rarely carries cash and then I whipped out my debit card and explained how it worked. He thought that was cool!

Then he saw that my driver's license had a heart on it and asked if that meant I was an animal lover (which I am, but...) I explained that I was an organ donor. "What's an organ Auntie Sarah?" So we had a nice talk about what organs were and what it meant to be a donor and by having the heart on my license if I were to get in a bad car accident the emergency people would know it's okay to give my organs to people who really need them.

I was sitting there thinking - Am I freaking this kid out by talking about death? Nope, I think he was truly interested in what I was saying, cause later on he commented that he loved pork chops and did I? Without thinking, I said "Yeah, I like pig." His face wrinkled a bit and asked, "Do animals have to die for us to eat them?" I take a moment to panic in my head ("Crap, where's Anne when you need her?") But I simply asked Caleb if he wanted to know the truth and would he be sad if I said yes. Caleb: "No I won't be sad, just tell me the truth." So, I responded with honesty - yes, animals have to die for us to eat them.

His next response cracked me up! "Good, cause I like chicken."